Sunday, August 21, 2011

Stories I heard the most


Sometimes loneliness is a blessing, especially when it is self imposed. This is partially true for me about this weekend. I was just at room, going out for 2 meals on each day and spending most of my time in front of laptop or by sleeping. During the post lunch nap today, I had a visit by Dad in my dreams- the most common figure in my dreams. I woke up soon with a lot of memories of him. He was a more like a grandfather to me as I was youngest of four in the family. He caned me just once or twice, he never said a ‘no’ to me and I could go with him to anywhere in the world.

My dad had a set of stories with some moral which I have heard atleast 20 times. Thereafter the title of stories would convey the meaning. Obviously they were not bed-time stories. I would like to share some of my favorites of the same old stories with everyone.

The Dead Dog

It’s probably the smallest story, but the best.

A dog was lying dead on the road. Everyone who passed by said, the dog smelt bad. But the hero came by the road and said “Look at its teeth, they are glowing white!!” 

And obviously moral is find only good in others.

Dad and Son with a donkey

This is my personal favorite.

A dad and son were going with some load on their donkey’s back. Then someone on the road asked, why can’t one of you can also get on donkey’s back and son got on the donkey’s back. As they went on someone else asked, how can you make your dad work when you are not. So both of them swapped. Next person had the opinion of both travelling on donkeys back. Next was on opinion of no one on donkey back as it was tired and even asked one of them hold the load as well. Father and son obeyed everyone.

The story has made me a bit adamant too. I wont accept anyone unless, I feel its right.


Manager and Peon

You might have heard the story in different version too. But this was the most repeated story.

A rich businessman had a manager and a peon. The peon used to complaint, why the manager was paid much and had less work. So finally the rich man decided to answer him. Rich man found a load of firewood taken through the road. Rich man asked the peon to check whether it was for sale. Peon came back saying, it was. The rich man asked the peon to check whether it was dry enough to be used next day. Peon ran again. When he came, manager asked to for the price to peon and the peon had to run again. Now the manger was called and asked the same question and he returned with all answers for all relevant questions. 

Once again moral is so simple. Its not the hardwork that matters but smart work.


Be always the last!!

The dad was teaching his son, always take the smallest piece of sweet from the plate. And then dad asked his son what he understood. The boy was smart, he replied like- always be the last one to take from the plate!!


1 comment: